Unless you are a roofing specialist yourself, there are terms that are used in the industry that homeowners may not understand. And if you are having some work done on your roof, it is important that you know what those jargons mean so everything will be clear to you. That will avoid miscommunications between you and your roofing contractor.

Here are the most common roofing terms that you may come across:


Also known as sheathing, this term refers to that wooden layer (usually plywood) that serves as the base where the roofing materials are nailed to.


It is a roofed structure that usually comes with a window. It projects from a sloped roof, and it is commonly used as an additional living space.

Drip Edge

It is an overhanging component installed along roof edges to control or direct the flow of water, allowing it to drip to the right place and not towards the underlying building components. A drip edge is made up of metal most of the time.


This is the part of the roof that overhangs the walls of a house, providing a little bit of shade.


It is the piece of material that covers the ends of the rafters. It could be a wooden board or any flat material.

Felt Underlayment

It serves as a secondary layer of protection for the roof deck, and its base is made of wood cellulose, natural fibers, polyester, or fiberglass that is soaked in asphalt, making it waterproof.


These are thin pieces of waterproof materials installed into several structures, such as chimneys, vent pipes, and valleys to prevent the water to go through. In short, it is a part of a weather-resistant barrier system.


These are structural pieces, which are part of the framework, that extend from the eaves to the ridge area.


This is a combination of beams and elements that supports the weight of the roof materials. Put simply, it is the interior roof framing.